Sunday, November 4, 2012

An incredible week in Pama Grande! - email from 29 October 2012

Well...this week was simply INCREDIBLE!! I don`t have a ton of time to be able to write about some of the experiences I had, so I`m going to copy a message I sent to President Rowley that I wanted to share with you all. I want to first bare my testimony that I really know that this church has the authority of God. I know that not because of reading a book or being told by priesthood leaders, but because I have actually felt God working through me as I perform priesthood ordinances. This week I was able to have one of those experiences, and I wanted to share this one with you:

This week I had an amazing experience that I want to share with you. One of the MA that we`ve been working with called us as we were walking to district meeting on Tuesday. He wanted us to visit a friend that was in the hospital that was super sick. He has diabities to the third degree and really wasn`t doing well. The hospital is outside of our area, so after calling and getting permission from the Zone Leaders, we were able to accompany him to his friend. When we got there, the guards were super strict and said that only one person could enter to see him at a time. They didn`t even want to let one of us wait outside the door. After explaining a little more, they let us in. Unfortunately the critical care unit is really shut off to most people, so they absolutely refused to let us both in.

After just a few moments, both my companion and I felt the prompting that I needed to go in and give him a blessing. I didn`t even have to say anything, Elder Panduro just looked at me and said you`re going. As I entered the room, he was just barely propped up on the bed, and really looked horrible. It reminded me of my grandmother right before she passed away, just horrible. Anyway, I explained what I was going to do the best I could, and he nodded his head a little, like he understood. As I put my hands on his head, I could just feel the spirit burning within that room. I really think that someone else was there with me. The words seemed to just flow as I gave this man a blessing. I knew, better than ever before, that he was going to be healed. I promised him that he would walk out of the hospital healed, and that he would be able to return to his family again. I`ve never felt more sure of something before in my life.

When I left the room, I was suprised to find myself alone with him. I honestly felt the presence of someone else there. Later, I came to realize that someone else really was there. Whether it was an angel or the Holy Ghost Himself, I don`t know...but President, I have never felt the presence like I did in those few moments during his blessing. Later as I talked to my companion about the experience, he said that he could also feel the spirit from the hallway, and knew that something incredible was going on inside.

I know that this church really does have the authority of God. It was an incredible thing to feel it working through me. Thank you for the opportunity to serve, President. I know that you received the inspiration so that I could be here in Pampa Grande. I can`t wait to hear that this man has left the hospital, and I know that it`s no longer a matter of `if` but of `when` he leaves.

Wow, right? Can anyone else in the world say that they have been able to experience something so incredible? The great thing is, YES they can. I know that there are millions of worthy priesthood holders out there that really do have the power of God and really can perform miracles like this.

Other than that experience, I was also able to work with Elder Naranjo again! He`s here in the area just next to me, and we had companion exchanges. I was supposed to be with Elder De La Cruz, but I ended up with my ex comp again. It was great to be with him again. I forgot how much I loved him! He really has changed a lot in his teaching style, and I felt the spirit strong with him. It was a great time to be able to proselite with him.

Oh! The pictures! First of all, I have to say that this week I was able to try some sweet dishes!! The one in the picture is shrimp soup. It is simply DELICIOUS! Mom and Dad, if you come down here with me, we HAVE to eat this! It was probably one of the best seafood dishes I`ve had, and my pensionista made it!! I was also able to eat this week chicken leg soup!! Haha, as I was eating it, I thought about how Jen, Sam, and Chelsey would react seeing it. Hahahaha...I doubt they would eat it! However, I liked it! It was really delicious! I also was able to try shark, and cow stomach again. Both were really good. I`ve told my pensionista that I really want to try different dishes, and I guess she`s giving me what I wanted!!

The photo with four elders is from when we had companion exchanges. Elder Naranjo, Elder Zavala (he`s black, from Ecuador), and Elder De La Cruz. We had a lot of fun together! It made me remember Negritos where four of us lived together. It`s a lot better, because you`re able to have more fun and talk to other people, more than just one companion. We also played Chess with the bishop`s daughter!! I CREAMED here. Don`t worry, she`s 15, so she`s definitely at my playing level. ;) Haha, it was fun to be able to do that.

Anyway, another incredible thing happened this week...Elder Panduro really opened up to me. Can I just say, I have been blessed with an incredible calm life. His father was a drug dealer and was dealing across borders. He also had another wife and kids...Elder Panduro had to grow up with just his mother. He also ended up getting into some bad things, but through the gospel and some great elders he came back. I KNOW the gospel is true! Every companion I`ve had has proved that. I`d love to be able to share more of his story right now, but time is pretty much gone!

I love you all so much!! I can`t wait for the Christmas call!! Make sure and keep doing the small things, and grow closer to God each and every day!

Love,
Elder Schofield
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment