Monday, December 17, 2012

Is it Really Happening? - Email from Dec 10, 2012

This week has been a really crazy week for me! A lot of things have
happened and I just don`t really know where to start! So, I`ll start
with the most important things and see what comes out. :)

So last week Elder Huaman was sick. He was coughing and was worried
that it might be something serious. I honestly was not worried, it`s
just a cough, but I told him that it would be a good idea to call
Hermana Rowley. He agreed. He seemed to be pretty worried about it,
but I thought that a quick call would be fine and everything would be
good. Guess I was wrong!

When we went to call her, I was putting in her phone number but Elder
Huaman corrected me saying that he wanted to talk to President first.
I didn`t think anything of it, and just put in his number. After
talking to him for just a few minutes, President wanted an interview
with him! I was a bit worried, but we just headed to an internet so he
could call president through Skype. He ended up there for over an
hour...turns out my companion was wanting to go home!!! President
talked to me for about two minutes, just to tell me that we were going
to Piura to see him and that I had to make sure that my companion
didn`t bring his suitcases with him.

I was shocked! I did not expect this. Of course, we haven`t had a ton
of success here in this area, but we`re working hard and I feel that
we have seen some miracles here. I think Elder Huaman just got really
discouraged with this sickness, and he also misses his family just
like any other elder that`s beginning the mission. We talked a lot the
night before he left about why we`re serving. I felt the spirit
directing my words as I tried to help him see the many reasons that
we`re here.

On Wednesday we headed down to Piura. We were able to eat lunch with
President and Hermana Rowley before his interview. He ended up being
in there for 2 hours! Thankfully, everything turned out ok. Elder
Huaman talked to his family, and they also really helped him to see
why he`s out here serving for two years. With their help, he was able
to make the decision to stick it out.

President called me into his office for only about two minutes to just
tell me of the responsability that I have to help make sure that Elder
Huaman stays here in the mission. I felt really comforted by the way
he told me that Heavenly Father had placed me in this Elder`s life and
that the way I help him in these first few months will have a huge
effect in his life. I hope that I can follow through with his council
and really be able to help him.

The end of the week turned out fairly well. One thing President told
me to do was give Elder Huaman more responsability in the work and
make him feel like he`s actually having success and doing well. Friday
and Saturday I pretty much made him the Senior Companion and tried to
just follow his lead and take on a supporting role. He did super well!
I also kept his mind occupied while we were walking, quizzing him with
the lessons and scriptures, and really just not giving him the chance
to think of home.

I feel so honored to be here. This week has been tough. I know what
Elder Huaman is feeling. I know that he feels kind of useless because
we can`t see the success right in front of us. That`s frustrating, and
it`s even harder when we`re so cut off from our families. However,
this is such an incredible opportunity.

I know that we are here on the Lord`s errand. He has sent us here. We
have the chance to see His hand in the lives of His children. I`m
honored to be able to become an instrument in this work, bringing
others to Christ. He has helped me through some of the hardest
challenges I ever thought that I would face. I now know, as Ammon
knew, that I can do all things with his strength. I am grateful for
that knowledge, knowledge which can only be gained through trials,
experiences, and these two years.

Thank you for all your support. Thank you for your prayers, your
letters, and everything you do on behalf of me and the people of Peru.
Please include us in your prayers, especially my companion Elder
Huaman and the people of Piura and Tumbes. I know that our prayers are
heard and that miracles really do happen if we have the faith
neccessary.

With the Christmas season coming on, it`s kind of cool to see all of
the lights and trees! At the same time, it doesn`t feel like
Christmas! It feels like the 120 degree weather in Arizona! This
Christmas will be even more strange than the last, I think. We`re
planning to get together with the elders from our district on
Christmas Eve so that we don`t have to be just the two of us.
Hopefully Santa Clause will bring us a great time!

Anyway, have fun there in the states! Keep warm!!!

Love,
Elder Schofield

No comments:

Post a Comment