Thursday, October 3, 2013

Gabriel y Diana! Yay! - Email from 23 Sep 2013

So this week was a great week because of a few mini miracles that happened! We found someone to teach! These past couple of weeks have been a bit tough because we couldn`t find many people to teach, but now we have a couple to teach and they`re even progressing!

So on Tuesday we had a work visit with Elder Barreno, and we began knocking doors because we really do need more people to teach. That was when we knocked the door of Gabriel and Diana.

When we first got in, Gabriel wanted to talk to us alone, but then he invited Diana to join us. That was when a huge can of worms opened up...Diana is one of those people that has a TON of questions, and she seems to be a bit against the church...but that`s pretty understandable. Within the first two minutes she explained to us why, of course! Her little sister is a member, and she`s been a member for quite some time! She was dating a member who went on a mission! When he came home, they kept going out until he got her pregnant!! Then he dumps her...without them getting married, just leaving her with the baby.

Obviously, Diana was a bit upset about that! It`s kinda difficult for her to see past that, but I totally understand. As Elder Barreno and I tried to teach about the prophets and apostasy, I felt like I was literally fighting against some sort of spirit. It took all of my strength to not get upset and just explain things very understandably and directly.

After the first visit, they didn`t really want to set up a time for another one, they just said to come by. Well, we went back and got to teach them again! It was another battle...this time explaining about Joseph Smith and the restoration, but the best part is that they`re beginning to understand! They understand the message that we`re delivering, which is actually kinda tough to do here in Peru.

Although we have to kind of battle in order to help this couple progress because of their many questions and the problems that they`ve had, it has been a blessing in my life. I feel that God has blessed us with this couple so that we can show how committed we are to helping these people come unto Christ.

My whole mission has been a battle. I have found that my spirit can never be overcome. In those moments when people are deciding to shut down, to tell us no, I fight more than ever before. I know without a shadow of a doubt that this message is TRUE. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way that we can return to our Heavenly Father, and this is the only true church on the face of the planet that has the true gospel. I know it. I testify of that every single day here in the mission field.

Some days are harder than others. There are a lot of things that we must battle. In our ward, we`ve been working hard to motivate our leaders, which has been quite the battle in and of its own! I can`t tell you how much I would love to have just one Ward Council meeting. We try hard...and we`re working to motivate the members to be more friendly.

Another one of God`s tender mercies happened to us this Sunday. Last week we visited Brother Aulestia who was bishop and just recently got released. He`s been having a tough time lately due to some of the rumors about him. However, in our visit we were able to motivate him and help him to see that he really is important. On Sunday he taught Priesthood and man, did he teach an amazing lesson! I could feel the power of it all, and I know that he put in a lot of effort preparing for it.

After the lesson he came up to us and said, `Thank you elders for your visit. I really needed it.` I don`t think that there is anything else in the world that I would rather hear, especially when it comes from the heart.

We work SO HARD. We try our very best, and sometimes all we get are two small sentences like that in return...but the reward really comes from knowing that we were able to do God`s will, and that it has helped someone else to progress.

I love this work. It`s the hardest thing in the world. It beats you up, chews you to pieces, and then expects you to just keep on going. However, it is amazing. I hope that it never comes to an end. I will always be the Lord`s valiant servant.

Love you all! Have a great week!
Elder Schofield

No comments:

Post a Comment