Sunday, September 30, 2012

Beru' Baptism, Elder Waddell, Changes! - Email from Sep 24

Wow...this week has simply been INSANE for me! I think it may be one of the best, if not THE best week in my mission! I just have so much to tell you all, and so little time in which to write it!

First things first...the baptism of the BerrĂ¹ family! We ended up having it on Thursday in the afternoon. We went to Los Rosales, which has some small swimming pools where we were able to perform the ordenances. It truly was a beautiful site, with trees surrounding the area, and the pool sitting there surrounded by grass. We ended up having about 20 people in attendance, more than any other baptism that I`ve had! Hermano Orland Fasabi, the Mission Lider, was directing the whole thing, and President Bazalar was also there with his family.

It ended up being three baptisms, with Yanis Muro, Felix, and I baptising Nygeli, Ana, and Nelly. It really was an incredible experience!

Nygeli was baptised first. Her mother and whole family have been less actives for quite a while, but Yanis and his family have really helped them to come back to the church. Yanis is leaving for his mission tomorrow, so it was really special to be able to see him baptise just before leaving! He`s a super good friend of mine now, and I hope to be able to write him during the mission and after!

After Nygeli, I was able to baptise Nelly. She was a little nervous, but when we got in the water, everything was just calm. I felt the spirit so strong as I took her wrist, and began saying the words. Nelly Alicia BerrĂ¹ Guerrero...honestly the words just came out, I didn`t have to think about it much because the spirit just seemed to guide everything. Before I knew it, I was putting her under the water, and then she came out! Choking, because she forgot to top her nose, but smiling nevertheless! It really was an incredible moment for me. After, before we went to change, she turned to me and said that it was everything she had hoped for, exactly like she pictured it! I`ll never forget the look on her face in that moment.

After Nelly, I got to see one of the most beautiful sights ever...it reminded me of when Mom and I went to do baptisms for the dead in the temple because Felix was going to baptise his mother. However, it was just so much more special. Felix was super nervous, and we practiced a lot. He ended up having to dunk her under 3 times! The first time, her hair didn`t go completely, the second time he forgot the word `and` but the third time, it went well! Even though all of that happened, it was an incredible moment. I`m so happy for them and I hope to one day get fotos of the temple!!!

After that amazing experience, you`d think nothing could top or equal it, right? However, the spirit can be strong in a variety of occasions! On Friday, we had a multi zone reunion with Elder Waddell of the 70. It was an INCREDIBLE meeting. I could feel the spirit testifying that this man was called of God as he spoke.

The really cool thing he shared with us is how the mission presidents are called. I guess their names enter into the temple with the 12 apostles, and then they are chosen among a few. Then an apostle, in just any old day, calls them up! They then have their first interview. After that, their names go back to the temple, and they are considered again. This time, they get another call and another interview, with the 1st presidency! President Rowley was interviewed by President Eyering. Finally, they get the letter in the mail.

The way Elder Waddell explained it really showed me that the mission presidents are SO important! He then talked about how missionaries aren`t assigned to missions, but they`re assigned to mission presidents. I know that to be true. President Chipman was perfect for me to start the mission, and now President Rowley is perfect for the second half. God has His hand in all of this.

Among other things, Elder Waddell talked about how we really need to be obedient. I can say that I have really tried to be 100 percent obedient...however, there are some things that I lack. I know that it is so important! For instance, Naaman was told to go wash in the Jordan river 7 times. What would have happened if he only went 6 times? He would still be a leper. Elder Waddell just explained everything so clearly...he truly is a man of God.

The really cool thing is that when we got in line for lunch, he came up and began talking to me. We talked a bit about San Diego, because that`s where he lives and hopes to retire, in Del Mar even! Also, about basketball and Utah and all of that. For some reason, I felt prompted to ask him if he ever thought he would be called to be a 70. He responded in a way that really made me think...he said that no one ever thinks they`re going to get that call. He just went home from the mission with desires to serve God, and then the calls just kept coming...it truly is incredible to me. Regular men are called to be God`s representatives to help us come unto our Heavenly Father, and God has put that confidence in me.

After the amazing conference, we left for the Clinica Belen! Ugh...after what I had to do there, I never want to go back. This time it was for my companion because he has some growth on his eye. After seeing the doctor, we found out we had to stay the night and that he would be in Surgery on Saturday! The surgery went well, although he said he could feel everything as they cut, cleaned, and stitched up his eyelid. I can`t even imagine the pain! After, he was so drugged up that we didn`t end up going out to work on Saturday. That`s ok because I also seem to have caught a head cold, and wasn`t really in the best condition either. Oh well...that`s the way the mission is!

Ok, the last big news! I am leaving Sechura! We got the call this morning, and I am leaving but Elder Castillo is staying. I really am going to miss him. He has been the most supportive and loving companion that I have had. I`m so grateful for what he has taught me, and how he has truly shown me how to love the people. I definitely in going to stay in contact with him! I`m hoping that he`ll stay true to his word and come up to BYU! He`s 26, so maybe they won`t work the deal with him...but we`ll see. If not, I`m coming down to Lima to visit him!

Anyways, I`ll let you know next week what part of the world I`m in! Not looking forward to packing...I`ve got so much stuff! A large part of me wants to leave half of it behind. Remember the medium sized bag that I brought mom? The one that I wouldn`t open until the field? Ya...haha, I`ve only taken out one white shirt to give to someone! SO MUCH STUFF. I feel bad when I see other elders with so little...especially cause I know I don`t use what I have, but they don`t accept a lot. I`ll find some way to get rid of it all. ;)

Anyway, love you all! Keep me updated on everything! Photos would be cool too!!

Love,
Elder Schofield
 

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment