Sunday, October 9, 2011

First few daze....

Dropped the "boy" off curbside on a rainy gray day.



He grabbed his bags, gave us a smile and went on his way.

Dad drove the van through and around the curves,

Mom held her breath not saying a word.

The van hit the blacktop- off MTC grounds,

Mom cried so hard Dad thought he would drown...



We dropped Dallon off around 1:20 on Weds. We are so excited about him serving and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with the people of Peru! Just two hours later Dad flew out to Phoenix and left me home- completely alone- for two and a half days. I gotta say they were pretty rough! Lots of tears. I didn't think it would be this hard to let him go :) In fact, this is a day I have looked forward to all his life.

I got the first letter from him on Friday. He's doing GREAT! Not homesick at all. He has an awesome companion from Logan, Utah who has been attending Utah State (Elder Littel). Kind of ironic that Dallon and I had just the day before been talking about how it might be harder for him to maintain his lifelong friendships when most of his comps might be going to BYU. Isn't it amazing how the Lord coordinates the "coincidences" in our lives.


Next great news was his first "discussion". Here's an excerpt from his letter, "I walked in and the teacher only speaks Spanish. He went to San Antonio on his mission. We are only supposed to speak Spanish already! I'm surprised at how much I remember... but it's not much! We had "investigators" we taught as a huge group. This one lady in particular talked about her sister dying. I was able to stand up and I talked a little about my experience with our family and how I was helped by the testimony I have of living together forever. I then challenged her to read the Book of Mormon and learn that for herself. It was incredible! I felt the spirit so strong and the instructor came up to me after and said i nailed it. what an amazing experience!"


Another "coincidence". Our next door neighbors, Dave and Megan, whom we have adopted as family, recently had a brother return from Argentina. He is teaching at the MTC. Megan asked him if perhaps he had met Elder Schofield among the thousands of Spanish speaking missionaries. Turns out Elder Hopkins (Megan's brother Brian) is Dallon's district teacher. He not only knew who Dallon was but was impressed with him. It will be nice to get the "scoop" from Dallon's teacher- another point of view!


We got an email from him yesterday... I felt terrible when he told us he was the only Elder in his district that did not get mail :( I did however fill his suitcases with notes and a wrapped "treat" a week for the next thirteen weeks :) WRITE HIM- HE NEEDS MAIL. We also prepared a treat and letter to have "same dayed" and found the service was closed on SAT. Sorry Son- I'm new at this mission Mom thing ;D


We are settling in a little to being missionary parents- but it sure is nice to have Chelsey home visiting off and on this week!


Elder Schofield- you are amazing!

By the way, his mission scripture is 1 Nephi 3:7 " I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."


















No comments:

Post a Comment